Labels

Sunday, April 1, 2012

Re: To Brit or Not to Brit


     In response to my earlier Britsploitation post, my wife sent me this:



     A) It is NOT because of Doctor Who1 and Torchwood, that just fanned the flames. It started w./ Susan Cooper, and you damn well know it. I forced you to read a YA series against your will because of it. That lead to being obsessed w./ King Arthur and therefore WalesCornwall, Tristram and Isoulde, etc, etc, etc.
     B) I am also recently embracing it because I only recently found out I was Welsh. My father always described that half of the family as "something from the 
British Isles" and didn't understand my frustration at that lack of specificity. There are a dozen or more different subcultures crammed into those gray and dreary2 little islands! Which one's mine?!
     C) BRITISH blood? How very dare you! YOU have British blood. Welsh and British are not the same. Just like you arrogant English wankers to try and strip us of our heritage.

1
 DOCTOR Who. I cannot even BELIEVE you wrote it Dr. Who. Go and sit in the corner! Time out!
2
 and wonderful3

3 
You aren't the only one that can abuse footnotes.


     I must admit, my initial reaction was: "Wow, she put a footnote on a footnote. How ballsy." My second thought was: "Wait, she sent me this as a Facebook message? She couldn't just tell me this? We live in the same house, for God's sake!" And there have been times when she has called my cell phone if I'm upstairs and she's downstairs. But, in her defense, I'm trying to break her of the habit of just hollering across the house whenever she wants to get my attention. So, baby steps.
     Also, I feel I should defend myself by saying that I think I have some English blood in me, but all I know for sure is the German and the Italian. I'm pretty sure that I'm going to just stick with "European" the next time somebody asks about my lineage. Either that or "honky."
     With that, I should go. She's going to be pissed when she finds out I snuck out of my corner.


No comments:

Post a Comment