Labels

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Someday, LEGOs

    There's a LEGO store in the mall by my house, and it taunts and teases me with its bricky goodness. All of my LEGOs are boxed up in a closet in my house, similarly calling to me with visions of building castles and spaceships and filling them with perpetually smiling yellow-skinned people. I can't wait to have children so that I have an excuse to play with my LEGOs again.
     Note: this is not the only reason I want to have children. There are lots of other fulfilling aspects to parenthood (I assume). But being allowed to play with toys again is just a more tangible benefit. 
I'm pretty sure we built that wagon in a campaign, once.
     Especially because they have all these cool sets now that I would have killed for when I was a kid. For the Castle line, they were just coming out with wizards, dragons, and undead. Now they have dwarves and orcs, too, not to mention all sorts of weapons that are a lot more
impressive looking. If I consider the Woodsmen to be elves (and lets face it, they all wear jaunty green feathered hats and carry bows; they're already pretty elfy), I could put together pretty much an entire D&D campaign.

     And the space set is even better. First, there are aliens now. I can't tell you how much I wanted there to be aliens when I was a kid. I always wanted an alien menace for my spacemen to fight. Sure, they could fight each other, but maybe I just wanted to believe my
futuristic space-colonizing civilization was more unified than that. Second, there's all the Star Wars stuff. Say what you want about the prequels, but I have to admit I love that the marketing force behind the movies has lead to having aliens and lightsabers in my LEGOs. And there's nothing George Lucas can do to ruin the stories you create in your head with the toys.

I wonder if its belly opens up and you can fit a guy inside.
     I think that's part of my love for the toys. LEGOs were instrumental to making me the storyteller I am today. Not only would I build the castles and the spaceships, but then I'd have to start telling the story as to why they were fighting, which leads to history and world-building and all the other elements of a story. I can also see now how this led me down the path of roleplaying. I remember putting together armies of LEGO men and going to war with my sister, only to have the whole thing descend into arguments as to what was allowed and what wasn't. My sister, with the Woodsman army, decided that their princess was a sorceress (on account of the glowy staff she built) and could then put my entire army to sleep. And damned if I couldn't think of a good reason why not.
     So, for all of you who have ever played with me and complained about me being a rules-lawyer, now you know who to blame.

1 comment:

  1. This is crazy. Ashley and I just went to that very LEGO store yesterday and bought Avengers LEGOs. Good thing too, because this post made me nostalgic. I had the LEGO train set for ages 4 to 7 that really had little to no building involved.

    ReplyDelete