Labels

Sunday, May 27, 2012

Internet Endurance


     Thanks to the holiday, I have a bit more free time this weekend, so I thought I would catch up on some Internet Stuff. 
     First off, I realized I realized that looking at things on the internet was becoming a chore. I check my mail, pay the bill that has been sitting in my inbox for about two weeks, check Facebook, and check this blog. That's the normal stuff, the things I can normally remember to do on a daily basis. Then I start thinking that I should catch up on the handful of webcomics I read, maybe look at the news and see what's going on in the rest of the world, and possibly finally getting around to checking out all those other sites that people are constantly telling me I should visit because I'd love them. Then it all starts feeling like work and I want to go lay down and read for a bit to clear my head.
     This is going to seem odd for virtually everyone else. And I'm not talking about the people who do nothing but play around on the web all day. My wife, for instance, will follow dozens of comics and online installment-stories and meme-based pages and several blogs. She keeps up with them quite well, and still has plenty of time to work her 50-hour a week job and do domestic projects like painting the house and sewing me awesome pajama pants from Avengers-print flannel. She does more than me, just in general, yet I still need her to filter the internet for me so I know what is worthwhile and what isn't. I know she's not alone in these abilities, either.
     At first I was going to claim that the reason is that I'm of the generation that grew up when the Internet was just first getting big. There wasn't any internet when I was a kid, and it didn't really start being useful to the general public until I was in high school. We were still using dial-up then, too, so you limited your internet use because it tied up the phone line for the whole rest of the house. That was back when people used landlines; ask your parents about it. So I feel like I got used to a world where you didn't have all this entertainment and information to distract you.
     Except that's BS, and I know it. Case in point, my wife is the same age as me, and she doesn't feel like time spent on the internet is the pain-in-the-ass I do. And it's not that I'm a Luddite. I like technology, really I do. I like my cell phone (even if it isn't a smartphone) and my Netflix coming through my Wii into the TV. I like the fact that it only takes me a second to find directions to a place and that I'll never have to play "what-have-I-seen-that-guy-in" again thanks to IMDB. I can't imagine life without these things. But pouring over pages on the internet--even pages of things that I should ostensibly love--just makes me feel exhausted merely thinking about it.
    For instance, I've been writing this post for nearly 30 minutes, and I think I need to go take a nap now.

No comments:

Post a Comment