Labels

Friday, June 1, 2012

Alignments: They Do Not Mean What You Think They Mean

    I've played a lot of different RPGs over the years, and seen a lot of different rule systems.  while most of them borrow elements from D&D, one thing that usually is not used by other systems is alignment. The Star Wars RPG uses a system of assigning Light Side and Dark  Side points, but it's not really the same thing. Alignments are meant to be guidelines to your character's outlook on life and general disposition, as defined on a scale of law/chaos and good/evil.
     When I was a less experienced player and GM, I used to balk at the idea of alignments. How could all of human philosophy, emotion, and personality be summed up by nine mere designations? I was always tempted to remove alignments completely, if they weren't so intricately tied up to other game mechanics (such as spells and effects).
    Of course, now I know. The point isn't to pigeonhole characters, but to help reign them in. It's a tool for the GM, not a leash for the players. How many GMs have had their entire game derailed by somebody doing something that seems out of character and contrary to the plot/goals of the party?
    Without some guidelines as to how a PC should act, you tend to have problems within the party. The act of taking on an alternate persona makes some people think that gives them carte blanche to be a bastard. Maybe they're normally a nice person and want the chance to experience assholery second-hand. Or maybe they're tools in real-life, too, but now can hide it behind their character. Whatever the reason, there's always going to be that one guy who decides that he's going to be a douchebag. There's going to be the rogue who decides that "being a thief" gives him the right to pick the other characters' pockets. Or there's the mage who decides being "neutral" means he doesn't care who's in the fireball's blast radius. It might just be a simple matter of everybody arguing over treasure distribution at the end of the fight.
    I don't allow mixed-alignment parties in my games, yet I've still had problems. You still get the lawful character arguing with the chaotic character, and the neutral characters disagreeing (or agreeing) with both of them. Then you have folks who have interpretations of alignments that are miles away from what they actually should be. 

    With this in mind, I'm going to start a series of posts about the different alignments, just to talk about the different aspects and variations possible even within a single alignment. In this way I can further defend the use of alignments by helping dispel the myth that there's only one way to play any certain one. As always, I encourage you to put in your two cents as well.
I added this pic because I love me some Venture Bros, although I really can't see how you can argue that Rusty is any kind of Good, especially considering the caption used...

No comments:

Post a Comment