Labels

Saturday, September 8, 2012

Geekiness: The Gathering

     I started gaming (in the geeky sense of the word, not the current meaning where anybody who has ever played Guitar Hero considers themselves a gamer) in junior high school. I'm a little sad that I can't recall the exact moment, day, month, or even year. But I remember getting into Magic: The Gathering early in high school (around 9th grade), and I definitely started D&D before then.
     I should clarify that I'm talking about Advanced Dungeons & Dragons, 2nd Edition. I don't like to be too hipster, but I do feel the need to point out that I should get some street cred for having cut my teeth on THAC0. 
     It started out just my sister and I: I was the GM, and she was all the party members. It worked pretty well, considering the half-assed way we followed the rule system. We were definitely more worried about doing weird, fun things than keeping on track with any kind of established adventure (for example: there was a magic-using sentient cat in the party, just because). Now that I think about it, I've definitely looped around somewhat, in that respect; I am more interested now in the "soft" elements of the game (roleplaying, characterization, and plot arcs) than the "hard" rules and min/maxing.
     What is a bit unexpected is that this was not the gateway drug you would think it was. I actually became more of a well-rounded geek thanks to CCGs, not RPGs. I played Magic in it's first heyday (from Ice Age to Weatherlight, for those of you familiar with the older sets). Thanks to Magic's popularity, every gaming company and franchise wanted to put out a CCG to cash in on the craze. And I was one of the people they were catering to, the type of person who would plop down the cash to try any card game that seemed even remotely interesting.
Like this, only more so
     It was through these CCGs that I really got into Shadowrun, Battletech/Mechwarrior, and yes, even the Cthulhu mythos and Lovecraft in general. I know, it's hard to believe now that I only discovered Lovecraft because of the Mythos card game (put out by Chaosium).
     I look back at these CCGs, with my current savvy as to how rules systems and game mechanics work, and marvel as to how they could be so entertaining for so long with their general simplicity. Of course, an argument could be made that simplicity is key for longevity and replay value (hell, how much is chess still played, and those rules haven't changed for centuries). But really, the appeal to me (then, as now) was how the cards inspired me. The artwork and themes went a long way to sparking thoughts and ideas, leading me to look more into the world-systems that had been created around the franchises. It was a tantalizing taste of the Sixth World of Shadowrun, or hints at the horrors hidden behind the works of Lovecraft. In some ways, the vagueness and incompleteness helped beckon me further into the genre. I didn't understand why a troll would have a cybernetic arm or how an Elder Sign would keep Nyarlathotep from passing through a portal, but damned if I didn't want to find out. Playing these games, where there's not a lot of plot involved, still made me want to invent stories around them. Even now, looking at the cards--without even playing with them--gets my mind working.
     During Dragon*Con, I talked to a few people about how my Magic cards might be worth some money now. And while part of me liked this idea, the more wistful, nostalgic part of me balks at the idea of giving up any of my collection. Sure, I haven't played in over a decade, but that's not the point. The cards are still good, the game still playable, and some day I will have a child I want to introduce to the game. My father and I spent a lot of time playing CCGs together throughout my high school years, and I would be lying if I said I didn't harbor hopes to do the same with my kids. Not just for the family bonding, but also with the desire to stoke my kids' imaginations.
     So while I might let go of a few rares to get some quick cash (because I don't care about having the "power cards;" they're usually the most boring, anyway), you won't see me trying to dump the whole collection in massive lots. Because these are geek-seeds, and they're always worth planting.

No comments:

Post a Comment