Labels

Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Dragon*Con 2012 Highlights

     Another year, another Dragon*Con under my belt. Actually, I'm surprised to look back and realize that this is only my 4th ever D*C, and only the second time I've gone for multiple days. It feels like such a major part of my yearly routine that you'd think I've been doing it forever. Plus, of course, I've been to plenty of other conventions, including Origins back in my native Ohio pretty much as far back as I can remember being a geek (high school, at least).  Some highlights from my D*C experience this year:
     1) Seeing Jane Espenson and getting to hear her talk about writing. I don't really do celebrity panels anymore; I can't stand waiting in lines to go see them, and then I just get mortified by some of the terrible gushing questions that people always throw at the celebrities. There's nothing worse than watching and actor have to fumble through some explanation or defense of something that somebody else wrote and directed their character to do. Espenson, as a writer, is actually in a position to be able to answer questions regarding the writing of TV shows. Not to mention that she was as clever and articulate as you would expect considering her resume. As a writer myself, she gave me a lot to think about...so much so, that it's going to have to be a post in itself later on.
     2) Group costuming with my D&D crew. I don't normally hang out too long with people during the convention, because there's just too much to do and nobody's schedules ever mesh terribly well. I'm also not much of a cosplayer on my own. However, it all worked out pretty well once we got together, and getting to roam around with my gaming crew in costume was definitely one of the high points. Sure, we didn't end up finding any random encounters, but we did end up in a tavern, so I guess it wasn't that bad of an adventure after all.
     3) Figuring out what types of panels I find the most interesting. In past years, I have gone to panels on more traditionally geeky things: gaming, comics, movies, and TV. Most of them were disappointing, at best. This year I went to "nerdier" things: stuff from the Skeptics, Space, and Paranormal tracks. They were interesting and run by individuals who have some weight in the field or on the topic (as opposed to just random fans). I will definitely be spending more time seeing what they have to offer in the future.
     4) Just to be perfectly hypocritical about speaking ill of fan panels, my last highlight will be the Cabin in the Woods fan panel that I spoke on. I was nervous to do so at first, but just as my wife predicted, once you got me up there and talking about horror movies and the genre in general, you just couldn't shut me up. I remember being sad when it ended because there was just so much more to talk about. I don't know if I'll be doing more fan panels in the future, but there's a good chance.
     5) Last, but not least, my wife's performance in the Doctor Horrible shadow play is always on the top of my list. Sure, there's favoritism there, but they do a fantastic job. And I'm not the only one who thinks so; this shadow play is so popular that every year it's standing-room-only in the biggest ball room at the convention. Part of it is because all the actors have their parts down to a science, but also because they clearly love doing it so much. And that kind of enthusiasm is inevitably contagious.
     As I said, there are many of these points that I will have to discuss with more depth later, but for now, I'll just close with saying that this has probably been my best D*C so far. I think it has been worth making every other chore and home-improvement project dreadfully far behind schedule.

8 comments:

  1. Props on the fan panel! Did you get to plug your book at all?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A little, but I didn't want to really berate the point. That kind of thing always seems tacky, and I understand that I'm supposed to be my own greatest advocate, but I know how annoyed I get when somebody tries to push their stuff at inappropriate times and places, so I try to avoid doing it myself.

      Delete
    2. Good point. Maybe a better way would be to plug the blog as a place to continue the panel conversation - then your blog easily leads to the book.

      Delete
  2. I wanted to spend more time with everyone, and start doing more of the smaller panels myself. We just didn't seem to have the energy this time to do a lot of the stuff we wanted. Not to mention costuming takes a lot out of me (and everyone else apparently). I'm itching to see the rest of the cosplay shots. As hot as it was, I loved being dressed up with you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, one correction. We aren't in _the_ biggest ballroom. Just one of the much bigger ones. There are a couple in the Hilton and Marriott that are larger, but those are essentially reserved for the giant guest q&a's to my knowledge. My memory is fuzzy, but we can seat (I think) 1300 people. Which I try not to think about.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really hated missing that Cabin panel. I hated it a LOT. I was excited to talk about it again, but I was probably more excited to hear your insight into its workings beyond the blog that you wrote about it. We'll have to have a "panel" of our own some time to discuss its genius.

    As for the Dr Horrible show, you are right on the money. It was brilliant. I like both shows, but the Dr Horrible one is considerably "cleaner" than Buffy, and it just blew my mind; this year I couldn't see the screen, so I was watching the actors 100% of the time, and they were just spot on.

    You should have checked out some of the Whedon celeb panels. The ones on Friday were particularly insightful, surprisingly so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, don't get me wrong. I'm certainly not implying that actors can't be interesting, intelligent, and thought-provoking. I guess I'm just saying I'm glad to see a writer get up and get some love.

      Delete