Labels

Thursday, August 16, 2012

Space Confederates

     I'm going to say something that will likely shock and appall many: Firefly/Serenity are not my favorite pieces of science fiction.
     Don't get me wrong, they're quite entertaining as these things go. They certainly make my top twenty (so long as we're only counting TV and movies). But, alas, I am far from being able to associate myself as a Browncoat (for those of you unfamiliar, this is the adopted term of rabid fans of the show).
     The problem is, this is one of those universes that rubs me the wrong way the more I think about it with my logical, grown-up mind. What it all boils down to is that the universe of Firefly/Serenity is attempting to mirror the western genre. And it does this fairly well with all the frontier aspects, just substituting space for the western half of the American continent. What the show also does is give us the ex-Confederate soldiers that litter most Westerns.
     That's what the Browncoats are in the show. They are a group of militant separatists that lost a civil war against the prevailing unified government. Not that they're bitter about it, except for all of them who totally are (i.e. pretty much all the main characters).
     I've mentioned this before, and the fans of the show seem to get all bent out of shape when you suggest that the Browncoats are really just the Confederates of the American Civil War. Honestly, I thought that was part of the appeal. I mean, I live in south (at least, as "south" as Atlanta is considered). Most people around here still have Confederate flags plastered on their pickup trucks and hanging from their front porches. Rednecks still declare that the "South will rise again," so I just assumed that people want to like Confederates.
     No, what I've found is that people like underdogs, and they want to empathize with somebody who is being oppressed and downtrodden. And I'm all for that, to an extent.
     The Browncoats, unfortunately, exceed that extent. See, in the show, the Browncoats fought a war because they wanted freedom from an Alliance that was presumably infringing upon their rights. I say presumably, because that's not actually part of the show. We never really get any reasoning for the fighting aside from "evil empire is evil." Oh, sure, we find out later there are factions of the Alliance that are experimenting on children to breed psychic supersoldiers or that are experimenting with plagues that will make people docile and more easily governed. But that was all discovered years after the war was over. So what was the justification of the bloodshed at the time? Was there taxation without representation? Or did some people just decide that they didn't want any more of this civilization crap and wanted to go off on their own. And really, in a universe with dozens of habitable worlds (most of which are dusty hellholes that are barely capable of sustaining life), would the Alliance really fight to keep the hillbillies from striking out on their own?
     Of course, we'll never know, since the entire thing was just 13 episodes and a movie, and there will never be anymore. But anytime I try to watch it again, I can't stop this nagging feeling in the back of my head that the crew are just rebels without a cause. And nowadays, that crap just doesn't float with me. I get frustrated with people who are so divorced from reality that they think grand gestures (like fighting futile wars against vastly superior armed forces) are going to make any difference at all. I can only imagine how many lives were lost in vain just so that some people could make a point about how they were grumpy that the Alliance was cutting into their dirt farming ventures.
     It's like the realistic moral and ethical dilemmas of blowing up the Death Star in Star Wars...but I think Clerks already covered that philosophical debate well enough, so I won't bother.

5 comments:

  1. In a lot of ways, it falls in that same category as RENT for me. If I try to separate my entertainment out from my reality, I can enjoy it. The second I get it just one moment of deep thought, I'm like "Uhhh, I think I side with the "bad" guys on this... whoops." In RENT's case it's "Oh seriously guys, grow up and get a damn job! Mark, stop whining about being a sell out and pay the effing bills! Your 'movie' sucks anyways!" And then for Serenifly, I kind of harken back to the idea of the Romans conquering you. Oh no! They bring things like civilization, sanitation, and roads! Quick, we must rebel! *facepalm* Dude, shut up, pay your taxes, and thank whatever gods you have that someone came to drag you out of your own feces. If you look at the utterly amazing tech that the Alliance has, and then you look at somewhere like the mud colony or Jaynestown you can't help but wondering what they were rebelling against. Their own sanity? Cause it sure isn't the corruption they didn't know about until the end of the movie...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This whole discussion reminds me of the song "Teenage Anarchist' by Against Me! Megi, you might be interested to know, if you don't, that the lead singer Tom is becoming Laura. Gender transition I think do to gender dysphoria. She is doing a whole vlog on the transition and is still going to front the band as a chick! Here is the song... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7RUeMCZL3Q

    ReplyDelete
  3. While the Unification War is sort of played like it's the Civil War, I prefer to think of it more like the Revolutionary War. These people all came from Earth That Was to settle new land, and they want to freedom to do it however they see fit. The Browncoats are the "keep the government out of our business" types, while the Alliance is more, "We know best, so we're going to do things out way." This is putting a blanket on all of civilization, which is dangerous in and of itself, but that's basically how I see it. There was a mass exodus, and only part of those people become blue coats, and the rest were red coats. My guess is that it wasn't so much about what rights were being infringed upon and more about the fact that rights were being infringed upon at all. It was sort of that, "We're doing this first, so we get to decide" mentality, the "American Dream", if you will. The Browncoats wanted to play Oregon Trail, but the Alliance was more concerned with Sim City.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only thing is that your entire point just reinforces my whole point that they choose a terrible life of hardship on purpose out of what... spite? Toddler level "I wanna do it myseeeelf" tantrum mindset? I mean honestly, in your analogy they're choosing to die of cholera and be eaten by bears for some nebulous idea of "freedom."
      It just makes me want to look at Browncoats now and scream "Murica! WOO!"

      Delete
  4. The fact that we're even having this discussion just goes to show that we are the spoiled rich kids of the world. As Americans, even during this recession, still have enough wealth and security that we can afford to disdain the systems that have given us this. "They're infringing on my rights!" Really? Do you wonder if you're going to eat tomorrow? Are you concerned that a warlord may kidnap your children and force them into an army as slaves? Any chance of going to jail for looking at "seditious" websites? No? Then I'd say you've got it better than the majority of the world. And you've got civilization to thank for that. If it were up to me, I'd let the Browncoats have their independence, and when they come crawling back starving, diseased, and bloodied by their own inevitable infighting, I wouldn't be too proud to say "I told you so."

    ReplyDelete