Labels

Sunday, March 18, 2012

The Inaugural Post


     So here it is: the beginning of my blog. In a lot of ways, it’s a surprise this hasn’t happened sooner. I’m a writer, a gamer, and all kinds of geek and nerd. Spouting off about language, science fiction, and D&D should come as natural as breathing.
     Of course, these are the kinds of things I don’t like bringing up in public1. When I mention that I was an English major, it immediately makes people worry that I’m going to correct their grammar and spelling. Sometimes they’re right. On the other hand, the English language is stupid, and nobody can keep track of all the rules2. Because an English major is more about analyzing literature than anything else, and it’s very rare that discussions about the feminist themes of Wuthering Heights crop up in my work’s breakroom.
     As for coming out of the “gaming closet,” I find it a topic of much debate. There’s still a stigma around being a geek, especially if you still play pencil-and-paper RPGs (spending all night playing Halo is almost socially acceptable, but spending the same amount of time rolling dice3 in the company of actual flesh-and-blood humans is still weird). Am I going to hide here that I’m a gamer, and that I think of Dragon*Con as a holiday season? No. Am I going to introduce myself as a Dungeon Master? Probably not4.
     So here’s what I expect from this blog. I will ramble occasionally about stories I think are humorous or interesting. There might be the occasional book or movie review. I will more than likely sprinkle my posts with crappy old comic strips I made on MS Paint years ago when I have absolutely no other ideas.
     Be very afraid.

The Internet is considered “public,” right?
For example, I don’t really know what I’m doing with these footnotes.
Probably because they’re funny-shaped. What is that, a dodecahedron? Preposterous!
Although I guess I kind of just did…

2 comments:

  1. I don't mind it when people are worried I'll correct their grammar. It drives me bananas when people try to correct my grammar so that they can feel smarter than an English major or some nonsense. Which is especially annoying because they're usually wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've certainly had that happen. I remember some of my creative writing workshops where I had to convince other writing majors that it was sometimes okay to use a sentence fragment for dramatic effect.

    ReplyDelete